Loper History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished surname Loper is of German origin. It is derived from "Loop," the name of a city located in the northern state of Holstein. Alternatively, it may also be derived from "Loope," the name of a town on the Sieg River in Westphalia.
Early Origins of the Loper family
The surname Loper was first found in the cities of Loop and Loope; it is likely that two separate branches of the families emerged in these two regions. The progenitor of the name is believed to have moved to another region from one of these cities, and was therefore referred to as "Loper." The young Loper family was instrumental during this early period, playing a major role in the development of medieval German society.
Early History of the Loper family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Loper research. Another 74 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1648, 1716, 1786, 1831 and 1895 are included under the topic Early Loper History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Loper Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Loop, Loup, Loper, Löper, Loepp, Löpp, Loppo and many more.
Early Notables of the Loper family (pre 1700)
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Loper Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Loper family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Joseph Loper, who immigrated to Philadelphia in 1804; Remmer Loop, who emigrated from East Frisia to New York in 1855; John Loepp and Elisabeth Loepp, Mennonites who came to Philadelphia in 1877.
Contemporary Notables of the name Loper (post 1700) +
- Major-General Herbert Bernard Loper (1896-1989), American Chief of Armed Forces Special Weapons Project (1952-1955) 
- Albert A. "Bert" Loper (1869-1949), pioneer of the sport of whitewater river-running in the American Southwest
- Daniel Robert Loper (b. 1982), American football guard
- Don Loper (1906-1972), American costume and necktie designer
- Augusta Loper (b. 1922), American artist living in Italy
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Loper +
- 4257 Loper, Keller, Van Meter and Allied Lines by Melba Wood.