Longoria History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Longoria originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, the nickname type of surname is also frequently found. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The surname Longoria came from a person who was tall and thin. The surname Longo is derived from the Old Italian word longo, which means long, tall.
Early Origins of the Longoria family
The surname Longoria was first found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy, where earliest records date to the 10th century, when Giovan-Jacopo, Bonaventura, and Filippo Longhi moved out of the city.
Early History of the Longoria family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Longoria research. More information is included under the topic Early Longoria History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Longoria Spelling Variations
There are many variations of most of those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. Some of these come from regional differences, like the tradition of ending northern names in "o" and southern names in "i". Others come from inaccuracies in the recording process, which were extremely common in the eras before dictionaries standardized spelling. Some of the spelling variations of Longoria are Longo, Longhi, Luongo, Lungo, Lunghi, Slongo, Del Lungo, Della Lunga, Del Luongo, Longhini, Longhin, Lunghini, Lungherini, Longhetti, Lunghetti, Longoni and many more.
Early Notables of the Longoria family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Guglielmo Longhi, Cardinal of Rome in 1294; Martino Longhi the Elder (1534-1591) was an Italian architect; and his son, Onorio Longhi (1568-1619), an Italian architect; and his son, Martino Longhi the Younger (1602-1660), an Italian architect of the Baroque period. Luca Longhi (1507-1580) was an Italian painter of the Mannerist period, his most famous work is entitled...
Another 64 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Longoria Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Longoria migration to the United States +
Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Longoria or a variant listed above:
Longoria Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Vincenzo Longoria, aged 14, who landed in America, in 1902
- Ramon Longoria, aged 18, who immigrated to America, in 1908
- Armando Longoria, aged 17, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Armando Longoria, aged 21, who landed in America from Gibara, Cuba, in 1912
Contemporary Notables of the name Longoria (post 1700) +
- Michael Longoria, American composer, known for The Matter (2005), One Night Stand (2011) and Live from the Artists Den (2008)
- Matt Longoria, American Daytime Emmy Award winning mixer, known for The Electric Company (2006), Team Umizoomi (2010) and Lomax: The Hound of Music (2008)
- Gilda Longoria, American production manager and assistant director, known for Happy Log (2014), It's a Dog Gone Tale: Destiny's Stand (2010) and Latino Laugh Festival (1997)
- Sam Longoria (b. 1956), American independent filmmaker and former Hollywood visual effects engineer, known for his work on Ghostbusters (1984), The Adventures of Mark Twain (1985) and Terminal Velocity (1994)
- Eva Longoria (b. 1975), American Golden Globe Award nominated actress, known for Desperate Housewives (2004), The Young and the Restless (1973) and Harsh Times (2005)
- David Longoria, American trumpeter, singer, songwriter and record producer
- Evan Michael Longoria (b. 1985), American Major League Baseball third baseman
- Valerio Longoria Sr., American Tex-Mex musician
- Richard G. Longoria, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Hawthorne, California, 1997, 1999 
- Oscar Longoria, American Democrat politician, Elected Texas State House of Representatives 35th District 2012 
- ... (Another 2 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +