Lizarraga History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Spanish name Lizarraga is the surname of an ancient and noble Basque family, whose "casas solares" or ancestral seats were located in the villages of Vergara and Bilbao. The name Lizarraga comes from the Basque word "lexar" meaning "ash tree," and the locative suffix "-alde," meaning "region of." Thus the original bearer of the name was a "dweller near the ash trees."
Early Origins of the Lizarraga family
The surname Lizarraga was first found in the northern provinces of the Basque region, primarily in the villages of Vergara and Bilbao.
Early History of the Lizarraga family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lizarraga research. Another 108 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1658 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Lizarraga History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lizarraga Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lizarraga, Lizarraraz, Lizarriturri, Lizarraque and many more.
Early Notables of the Lizarraga family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of the family name at this time was Salvador Lizarralde y Ordóñez de Pineda, who was made the first Marquis of Villa Alegre and Knight of the...
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lizarraga Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Lizarraga is the 9,426th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Lizarraga migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lizarraga Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dolores Lizarraga DeCampanon, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1863
- Dolores Lizarraga, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1863 
Lizarraga Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Francisco Lizarraga, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1903
- Maria R de Lizarraga, aged 34, who landed in America from Mexico City, Mexico, in 1909
- Wenceslav Lizarraga, aged 38, who immigrated to the United States from Mexico City, Mexico, in 1909
- Maria Lizarraga, aged 15, who immigrated to the United States from Mendez, Mexico, in 1911
- Wenceslao Lizarraga, aged 41, who landed in America from Mendez, Mexico, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Lizarraga (post 1700) +
- David C. Lizarraga, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1988; Presidential Elector for California, 1996 
- Hector Lizarraga (b. 1966), Mexican boxer in the Featherweight division, former WBC Continental Americas champion
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html