Liske History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Liske surname is thought to have derived from the Slavic word "litsch," which meant "wild;" as such, it may have originally been a nickname for a wild or unruly person. The surname many also have evolved from any of several places, such as Lisch in Holstein; or Lischau in East Prussia.
Early Origins of the Liske family
The surname Liske was first found in Austria, where the name became noted for its many branches within the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was enrolled by the princes of the region. In their later history the family became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential name.
Early History of the Liske family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Liske research. Another 133 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1662, 1701, 1736, 1740, 1749, 1760, and 1780 are included under the topic Early Liske History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Liske Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lischer, Lisch, Lischke, Lischka, Lischeid, Lissek, Lissak, Litsch, Litscher, Litschke, Litschka, Litschko, Lischy, Liske, Lisko, Liskov, Liskow and many more.
Early Notables of the Liske family (pre 1700)
During this period prominent bearers of the name Liske were Christian Liscow (1701-1760) from Mecklenburg, who was a prominent writer of satires. In 1736 he entered the service...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Liske Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Liske migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Liske Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lydia Liske, who landed in America in 1892 
- Magdalena Liske, aged 22, who arrived in America in 1892 
- Samuel Liske, aged 30, who landed in America in 1892 
- Wilhelm Liske, aged 2, who arrived in America in 1892 
Contemporary Notables of the name Liske (post 1700) +
- Dr. Kenneth Liske, American Professor of music at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)