Lint History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Lint surname comes from an Upper German word "lind," which meant "tender" or "gentle hearted." In some instances, especially in Saxony, the surname evolved from the personal name Lindemuth. In general, the similar phonetic name Linde comes from "Linden," which was a type of tree.
Early Origins of the Lint family
The surname Lint was first found in Prussia, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. Chronicles first mention Hainrich der Lind in Constance in 1254.
Important Dates for the Lint family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lint research. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1780, 1784, 1799, 1820, 1834, 1862, and 1887 are included under the topic Early Lint History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lint Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lind, Lynd, Lint, Lynt and others.
Early Notables of the Lint family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Lint were Anton Franz Hermann Lindt, a general in the Saxon army, who was ennobled in 1780. He was born in Frankfurt a.M. but moved with the family to Dresden. In 1784 he became general-inspector of the infantry, and in 1799 General of...
Another 52 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lint Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lint migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lint Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adriaantje Van Lint, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Adrianus Van Lint, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Annigje Van Lint, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Contelius Van Lint, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Mrs. Cs Van Lint, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Lint (post 1700)
- Terry Lint, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1984 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html