Lingenfelter History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the German surname Lingenfelter lie in the former royal duchy of Swabia, now the modern region of Baden-Wurttemburg. The surname is derived from the name of the town of Lingenfeld, located south of the city of Heidelberg. The name was most likely originally borne by someone who came from this village.
Early Origins of the Lingenfelter family
The surname Lingenfelter was first found in Lingenfeld, a small town located south of Heidelberg near the French border. It was common practice in the early Middle Ages to take on a surname derived from the name of one's city of origin, particularly when one was moving from that city to settle somewhere else; thus, the earliest bearers of the surname were probably former residents of Lingenfeld who had moved to another town.
Early History of the Lingenfelter family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lingenfelter research. Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1593, 1765, and 1834 are included under the topic Early Lingenfelter History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lingenfelter Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lingenfelter, Lingenfelder, von Linggenfeld, Lingen, Lingg, Ling and many more.
Early Notables of the Lingenfelter family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lingenfelter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Lingenfelter is the 9,427th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Lingenfelter migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lingenfelter Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Lingenfelter, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743 
- Joh Jacob Lingenfelter, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lingenfelter (post 1700) +
- Steven Rodney Lingenfelter (b. 1958), retired American professional basketball player
- Tom Lingenfelter, American teacher, historian, intelligence agent, businessman, and political activist
- John Lingenfelter (1945-2003), American NHRA driver, engineer and legendary tuner
- Mary Rebecca Lingenfelter (b. 1893), American author
- Dwain Lingenfelter (b. 1949), Canadian businessman, farmer and politician
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)