Lichty History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished and ancient German surname are unclear; there are many possible origins for this name, all corresponding to different regions. Firstly, the name may be derived from the Middle High German "licht," meaning "light, lamp"; in this instance, the name would have been originally borne by a maker of lanterns or candlesticks. Alternatively, the name may be related to the Middle High German "liht," meaning "light-hearted, careless, unsteady." In this case, the name would have originated as a nickname, bestowed on someone with a light-hearted disposition. Finally, the surname may be derived from "Lichte," the name of a town in Thuringia, which is itself derived from the Middle High German "lichta," meaning "clearing."
Early Origins of the Lichty family
The surname Lichty was first found in various regions of Germany and the surrounding areas of Switzerland, Austria, France, and Belgium. The many possible origins of the name Lichty make it likely that several branches of the family emerged independently in different areas. The written history of the name Lichty dates back to 1275, when Egelolfus and Berhta dicti zem Liehte of Solothurn, Switzerland were recorded in the "Mittlehochdeutsches Namenbuch." The many branches of the young Lichty family were instrumental during this early period, each contributing greatly to the development of the medieval society of its particular region.
Early History of the Lichty family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lichty research. Another 130 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1283, 1295, 1617, 1705, 1748, 1762, and 1822 are included under the topic Early Lichty History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lichty Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Licht, Lichte, Likht, Liehte, Leicht and others.
Early Notables of the Lichty family (pre 1700)
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lichty Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lichty migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lichty Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Lichty, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1822 
- Abraham Lichty, who arrived in Ohio in 1833 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lichty (post 1700) +
- Jay Lichty, American businessman, founder of Lichty Guitars, an American company based in Tryon, North Carolina, that has been making custom acoustic guitars and ukuleles since 2009
- Patrick Lichty (b. 1962), American conceptual media artist, activist, curator, and educator
- George Lichty (1905-1983), born George Maurice Lichtenstein, an American cartoonist, creator of the daily and Sunday cartoon series Grin and Bear It
- Kathey Lichty (b. 1957), Canadian rower in the women's eight event at the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Angela Lichty (b. 1979), Canadian softball shortstopwho was part of the Canada women's national softball team at the 2004 Summer Olympics
- Charles Lichty Miller (b. 1887), American college football player (1904-1907) and coach at Haverford College in Haverford, Pennsylvania in 1909
- Alice Lichty Loomis, American Republican politician, Chair of Kent County Republican Party, 1952
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)