Licciardi History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Licciardi surname comes from the personal (first) name Riccardo, which is the Italian cognate of Richard.
Early Origins of the Licciardi family
The surname Licciardi was first found in Sardinia (Italian: Sardegna, Sardinian: Sardigna), the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. The original inhabitants were Sicels. The Greeks colonized the island in 735 B.C. and Phoenician settlements began in 6th century. The Carthaginians arrived in 410, followed by the Romans. After the decline of Rome, the island was under the power of the Saracens. Then in 1057, Sicily was conquered by the Normans. The time of conquest is said to be Sicily's brightest hour, having made the Sicilians the leading Maritime power in the Mediterranean and King Roger of Sicily one of Europe's greatest kings. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Licciardi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Licciardi research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1368, 1449, 1585, 1639, and 1833 are included under the topic Early Licciardi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Licciardi Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rizzardi, Riccardi, Riccardo, Ricciardi, Ricciardo, Riccardini, Ricciardella, Rizzardini, Cardini, Cardazzo and many more.
Early Notables of the Licciardi family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Licciardi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Licciardi migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Licciardi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Licciardi, aged 26, who landed in America from Cicala, Italy, in 1893
Licciardi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Domenico Licciardi, aged 24, who settled in America from Capua, Italy, in 1907
- Filomena Licciardi, aged 17, who immigrated to the United States from Aprice, Italy, in 1909
- Gaetano Licciardi, aged 4, who immigrated to America from Regalbuto, Italy, in 1909
- Bartolomeo Licciardi, aged 51, who settled in America from Salina, Italy, in 1910
- Carlo Licciardi, aged 19, who landed in America from Teano, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +