Lewerenz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient and distinguished German surname Lewerenz is derived from the personal name "Lorens," the German and Scandinavian variant of "Lawrence," a name of Latin origins denoting a "man from Laurentium." The name Lewerenz indicates "son of Lorens," and was most likely first borne by the son of someone named Lorens.
Early Origins of the Lewerenz family
The surname Lewerenz was first found in Hessen, where the family became noted for its many branches within the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied and enrolled by the princes of the region. The earliest known bearer of the name was Lukas Laurencii, who was a painter in Mähren in 1447. In their later history, the family became a power unto itself and was elevated to the ranks of nobility as it grew in wealth and influence.
Important Dates for the Lewerenz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lewerenz research. Another 213 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1718, 1790, 1807, 1836, 1853, and 1854 are included under the topic Early Lewerenz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lewerenz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lorentz, Lorrentz, Lorenz, Lorentzen (Holstein), Laurenz, Laurens, Laverenz, Lafrenz, Lewerenz, Lohrenson, Lornsen, Lorant, Lorincz and many more.
Early Notables of the Lewerenz family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Lewerenz were Hendrik Anton Lorentz (1853-1928), who was a Dutch physicist. His theory of the "Lorentz transformation", a restricted theory of relativity pre-dating Einstein, was published in 1903. He won the...
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lewerenz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lewerenz migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lewerenz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dorothea Lewerenz, who arrived in New York, NY in 1850 
- F Lewerenz, aged 4, who landed in New York, NY in 1867 
- C H Lewerenz, aged 37, who landed in New York, NY in 1867 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lewerenz (post 1700)
- Sarah Lewerenz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1996, 2000, 2004; Member of Democratic National Committee from Minnesota, 2004 
- August W. Lewerenz, American Democrat politician, Constitutional Democratic Candidate for Michigan State Senate 1st District, 1938 
- Hermann Lewerenz, German actor known for his role in Ich will euch sehen (1978)
- Lars Lewerenz, German founder of Audiolith Records, a German Independent record label in Bahrenfeld, Hamburg in 2003
- Steven Lewerenz (b. 1991), German footballer who plays for Würzburger Kickers
Historic Events for the Lewerenz family
- Gerhard Lewerenz (1915-1941), German Maschinenmaat who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 28) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Bismarck & Tirpitz Class - Crew List Bismarck. (Retrieved 2018, February 06). Retrieved from https://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/crew/bismarck_crew.html#crew_details