100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German, Italian, Swiss
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lippi, Lipamano, Lipoldi, Lippa, Lippo, Leopoldi, Leopoldo and many more.
First found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), originally the capital of Tuscany, then capital of the kingdom of Italy. On the River Arno there are numerous Florentine Churches, Museums, Galleries. It dates back to 313 A.D. The history is complex and turbulent. The de' Medici family are the notables. They were expelled in 1494 but they returned in 1512, out in 1527 and then returned. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leopold research. Another 213 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1384, 1457, 1504, 1606 and 1665 are included under the topic Early Leopold History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Leopold Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Leopold Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- George Adam Leopold, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1763
- Charles Leopold, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1771
Leopold Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eberhard Gottlieb Leopold, who arrived in Albany, NY in 1840
- Karl Friedrich Leopold, who arrived in America in 1841
- T Leopold, who arrived in Texas in 1844
- Dorothea Leopold, who landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Gerson Leopold, aged 28, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Shirley Leopold, American Democrat politician, Member of Michigan Democratic State Central Committee, 1979; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1980, 1984
- Ruth Leopold, American politician, Delegate to Socialist National Convention from Massachusetts, 1960
- Max Leopold, American politician, Candidate for Wisconsin State Senate 24th District, 1940
- Leo Leopold, American politician, Delegate to Socialist National Convention from Massachusetts, 1960
- John R. Leopold, American Republican politician, Member of Maryland State House of Delegates District 31; Elected 1998; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Maryland, 2008
- Howard Leopold, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1904, 1908, 1916, 1928
- Charles Leopold, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County 26th District, 1904
- Arthur E. Leopold, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 2008
- Alice K. Leopold, American Republican politician, Elected Connecticut State House of Representatives from Weston 1948; Secretary of State of Connecticut, 1951-53; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Connecticut, 1952
- Jordan Leopold (b. 1980), American professional ice hockey player
- Bongioanni, Angelo. Nomi e Cognomi. Saggio di Ricerche Etimologiche e Storiche. Torino: A. Forni, 1979. Print.
- Glazier, Ira A. and P. Williams Filby Edition. Italians to America. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. Print.
- Gheno, Antonio. Contributo alla Bibliografia Genealogica Italiana. Bologna: Forni, 1924. Print.
- Guelfi Camajani, Piero. Dizionario Araldico 1940 Reprint Arnoaldo Forni. Milan: 1978. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Fucilla, Josheph G. Our Italian Surnames. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0806311878).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
The Leopold Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Leopold Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 10:57.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!