Leiter History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Leiter surname is derived form the Middle High German word "lîte," meaning "a mountain side slope." No doubt the first people to be called by this name lived in such a location.
Early Origins of the Leiter family
The surname Leiter was first found in Bavaria. The first recorded instance of this surname occurs in the 'Geschichte des Hauses Habsburg" (History of the House of Habsburg) where a Stephan Leyttner is listed in 1376.
Early History of the Leiter family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leiter research. Another 63 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1451, 1545, 1635, 1651, 1714, 1803, and 1851 are included under the topic Early Leiter History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leiter Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Leiter, Leitner, Laitner, Leiten, Leithen and others.
Early Notables of the Leiter family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Leiter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Leiter family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Joh Wolfgang Leiter, who was on record in Philadelphia in 1753; Adam Leitner, a Bavarian mercenary in the American Revolution, who remained in America in 1779.
Contemporary Notables of the name Leiter (post 1700) +
- Jeffrey Shattuck Leiter, American politician, Mayor of Berkeley, California, 1994
- Benjamin Franklin Leiter (1813-1866), American Republican politician, Member of Ohio State House of Representatives, 1848; Mayor of Canton, Ohio, 1852-53, 1854-55; U.S. Representative from Ohio 18th District, 1855-59
- Mark Edward Leiter (b. 1963), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Brian Leiter (b. 1963), American Professor of Law and Philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin (1995-)
- Alois Terry "Al" Leiter (b. 1965), American Major League Baseball player
- Levi Ziegler Leiter (1834-1904), American businessman, who co-founded what became the Marshall Field and Company retail empire
Related Stories +