The Leibman family finds its ancestral home that ancient basin that fed the Elbe, Rhine, Wesser, and Danube rivers. In that area, Leibman evolved as a German nickname
for a person known "of a pleasant disposition."
Early Origins of the Leibman family
The surname Leibman was first found in Pomerania, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. The original, literal meaning of "Liebermann" was "one of pleasant disposition," but later came to represent many different branches of a powerful family. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Early History of the Leibman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leibman research.Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1790, 1803, 1791 and 1840 are included under the topic Early Leibman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leibman Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Liebman, Liebmann, Leibman, Leibmann, Liebermann, Leeberman, Leebermen, Libermen, Leverman (North Germany), Levermann, Liebersohn, Lieberson, Lieberherr, Lieberkuehn, Leverkuehn and many more.
Early Notables of the Leibman family (pre 1700)
Prominent bearers of the name Leibman at this time were Georg Matthias von Liebermann (18th century), of the von Sonnenberg line, who became first lieutenant in the Austrian
army and Lord of Wettschuetz. His... Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Leibman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Leibman family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Leibman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ludwig Leibman was naturalized in Alabama in 1856
- Frederick and Leon Leibman, who settled in Philadelphia in the 1860s