The prestigious French surname Legere is a proud sign of a rich and dynamic ancestry. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames
in France were the patronymic
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. As well as the names of the saints of the Christian Church, many of the most common French surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The surname Legere is derived from the Old German personal name
Leodegar, meaning people spear.
Early Origins of the Legere family
The surname Legere was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France
Early History of the Legere family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Legere research.Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1594, 1615, 1631, 1640, 1652, 1684, 1686, 1734, and 1766 are included under the topic Early Legere History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Legere Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Leger, Léger, Liogier, Légier, Legier, Legerat, Légerat, Legeret, Légeret, Legeron, Légeron, Legere and many more.
Early Notables of the Legere family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Antoine I Léger, a theologian born in 1594. Antoine II, his son, was a protestant pastor. Born in Geneva in 1652, Antoine II was pastor at a parish in the country around Geneva, and in 1684 he became the town pastor. In 1686... Another 97 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Legere Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Legere family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: 160 individuals who arrived from France onto Canadian shores between 1600 and 1900. Among them, César Léger married in Quebec in 1644; Franç.
Contemporary Notables of the name Legere (post 1700)
- Phoebe Legere, American singer and actress, known for The Toxic Avenger Part II (1989) and King of New York (1990)
- Ricky Legere (b. 1985), American professional mixed martial artist from Norco, California
- Mary A. Legere, American retired Lieutenant General and the former Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence (G-2) of the United States Army
- Phoebe Hemenway Legere (b. 1963), American composer, singer, pianist and accordionist, painter, poet, and film maker from Lexington, Massachusetts
- John J. Legere (b. 1959), American CEO of T-Mobile (2012-)
- Sarah Legere, German actress, known for Vom Pionier zum Millionär (2010), Last Spring (2012) and A Haunting (2005)
- Martin Legere, Canadian retired banker in Caraquet, New Brunswick