Leavens History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Leavens surname comes from a Middle English given name Lefwine, which in turn comes from the Old English elements "leof," which meant "dear" or "beloved," and "wine," which meant "friend."
Early Origins of the Leavens family
The surname Leavens was first found in Shropshire where the family was anciently seated.
Important Dates for the Leavens family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leavens research. Another 202 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1010, 1086, 1275, 1292, 1327, 1661, 1712, 1820, 1661, 1576, 1659 and 1602 are included under the topic Early Leavens History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leavens Spelling Variations
Before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Sound was what guided spelling in the Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Leavens family name include Lewin, Lewins, Lewens, Lewinson and others.
Early Notables of the Leavens family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Justinian Lewyn (Lewen) knighted May 12, 1661; and John Lowin (1576-1659), an English actor, became associated with the theatrical world by 1602. Born in...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Leavens Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leavens migration to the United States
To escape the political and religious chaos of this era, thousands of English families began to migrate to the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. The passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe; however, those who made the voyage safely were encountered opportunities that were not available to them in their homeland. Many of the families that reached the New World at this time went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the Leavens family to immigrate North America:
Leavens Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Leavens, who landed in Mississippi in 1798 
Leavens Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- I L Leavens, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- C W Leavens, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1860 
Leavens Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Barry Leavens, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States, in 1904
- Annie M. Leavens, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1905
- Faith R. Leavens, who landed in America, in 1907
- Adelaide Leavens, aged 67, who immigrated to America, in 1908
- Edin Moore Leavens, aged 50, who landed in America, in 1916
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Leavens migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Leavens Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Peter E Leavens, who arrived in Canada in 1828
- William B Leavens, who arrived in Canada in 1830
Contemporary Notables of the name Leavens (post 1700)
- Gary T. Leavens, American professor of computer science at the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Central Florida
- William Parker Leavens (b. 1868), American Republican politician, Member of Vermont State House of Representatives from Morgan, 1910 
- Robert Leavens, American politician, Mayor of Billings, Montana, 1912-15 
- Jedediah Leavens, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Killingly, 1838 
- Grover Leavens, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Allegany County, 1847 
- George Leavens, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Supervisor of Lansing Township, Michigan, 1939 
- George Leavens, American politician, Warden (Borough President) of Danielsonville, Connecticut, 1872-73 
- E. N. Leavens, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 5th District, 1859-60 
- Bill Leavens, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 21st District, 1994 
- George Leavens Lilley (1859-1909), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from Connecticut at-large, 1903-09; Member of Connecticut Republican State Committee, 1904-09; Governor of Connecticut, 1909 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html