lathrop History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the lathrop family
The surname lathrop was first found in Yorkshire in the East Riding where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Lowthorpe, held by Beverley from the Archbishop of York who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
Early History of the lathrop family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lathrop research. Another 69 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 116 and 1161 are included under the topic Early lathrop History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lathrop Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lathrop, Lathropp, Lowthrop, Lowthorpe, Lowethrop, Lowthrup, Lathrup, Lowthrope, Lawthrope, Leythorp, Leythropp and many more.
Early Notables of the lathrop family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early lathrop Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lathrop migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
lathrop Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Lathrop, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1634 
lathrop Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Geo C Lathrop, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- E S Lathrop, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- Daniel Lathrop, aged 25, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- A Lathrop, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name lathrop (post 1700) +
- William Langson Lathrop (1859-1938), American landscape painter
- Steve Lathrop (b. 1957), American politician
- Rose Hawthorne Lathrop (1851-1926), American Roman Catholic nun and social worker
- Philip H. Lathrop (1912-1995), American cinematographer
- George Parsons Lathrop (1851-1898), American poet and novelist
- Francis Lathrop (1849-1909), American artist
- Dorothy P. Lathrop (1891-1980), American author and illustrator
- Barbour Lathrop (1847-1927), American philanthropist
- Austin E. Lathrop (1865-1950), American industrialist
- Julia Clifford Lathrop (1858-1932), American social reformer
- ... (Another 45 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name lathrop +
- 3901 Ancestors and Descendants of the Walker Lathrop Family of Chelsea Vermont by Maia Gudmundson Walker, In This Place by Charles Leonard Lathrop.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)