Lathrop History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Lathrop family
The surname Lathrop was first found in Yorkshire where conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Lowthorpe, held by Beverley from the Archbishop of York who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
Lowthorpe, now a parish in the union of Driffield, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding of Yorkshire. "The village, which is small, is to the south of the road from Driffield to Bridlington. " 
Literally the place name means "outlying farmstead or hamlet of a man called Logi," from the Viking personal name + "thorpe." 
Early History of the Lathrop family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lathrop research. Another 69 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1161, 1584, 1653, 1584, 1601, 1605, 1609, 1623, 1632, 1634, 1740, 1816, 1790 and 1813 are included under the topic Early Lathrop History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lathrop Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lathrop, Lathropp, Lowthrop, Lowthorpe, Lowethrop, Lowthrup, Lathrup, Lowthrope, Lawthrope, Leythorp, Leythropp and many more.
Early Notables of the Lathrop family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was John Lothropp (1584-1653), sometimes spelled Lothrop or Lathrop, an English Anglican clergyman, who became a Congregationalist minister and emigrant to New England. Born in Elton in the East Riding of Yorkshire, he was baptised on 20 December 1584. He attended Queens' College, Cambridge, where he matriculated in 1601, graduated with a BA in 1605, and with an MA in 1609.
He was ordained in the Church of England and appointed curate of a local parish in Egerton, Kent. But in 1623 he renounced his orders and joined the cause of the Independents. Following...
Another 164 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lathrop Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Lathrop is the 5,226th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
| Lathrop migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lathrop Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Lathrop, aged 25, who landed in Virginia in 1623 aboard the shpi "Southampton" 
- John Lathrop, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1634 
Lathrop Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E S Lathrop, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- Geo C Lathrop, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- Daniel Lathrop, aged 25, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- A Lathrop, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Lathrop (post 1700) ||+|
- William Langson Lathrop (1859-1938), American landscape painter
- Steve Lathrop (b. 1957), American politician
- Rose Hawthorne Lathrop (1851-1926), American Roman Catholic nun and social worker
- Philip H. Lathrop (1912-1995), American cinematographer
- George Parsons Lathrop (1851-1898), American poet and novelist
- Francis Lathrop (1849-1909), American artist
- Dorothy P. Lathrop (1891-1980), American author and illustrator
- Barbour Lathrop (1847-1927), American philanthropist
- Austin E. Lathrop (1865-1950), American industrialist
- Julia Clifford Lathrop (1858-1932), American social reformer
- ... (Another 45 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Suggested Readings for the name Lathrop ||+|
- Ancestors and Descendants of the Walker Lathrop Family of Chelsea Vermont by Maia Gudmundson Walker.
- In This Place by Charles Leonard Lathrop.
- Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)