lamotta History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname lamotta was derived from the word Italian word motta, which is a rising up of the land or a large heap of stones, debris, and sand, like those found in areas of Southern Italy.
Early Origins of the lamotta family
The surname lamotta was first found in Calabria, known to many people as located at "the tip of the Italian boot." Records of the name are found in the 12th century, when Carlo di Mottola was a Baron and was Lord of Mottola, near Otranto.
Early History of the lamotta family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lamotta research. More information is included under the topic Early lamotta History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lamotta Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations. The recorded spellings of lamotta include Motta, La Motta, Moti, Mota, Mottino, Motino and many more.
Early Notables of the lamotta family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this surname in early times was the Mottola family in Calabria, who were Lords of many feudal territories during the 16th century. With the Amato feud...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lamotta Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lamotta migration to the United States +
An examination of many early immigration records reveals that people bearing the name lamotta arrived in North America very early:
lamotta Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Salvatore LaMotta, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1895
- Salvatore LaMotta, aged 45, who immigrated to the United States from Maniceo, in 1898
lamotta Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Vincenzo Lamotta, aged 30, who settled in America from Deliceto, in 1903
- Vincenzo Lamotta, aged 30, who immigrated to the United States from Foggia, Italy, in 1905
- Vito Lamotta, aged 31, who landed in America from Deliceto, in 1906
- Josie LaMotta, aged 7, who immigrated to America from Barcelona, Italy, in 1906
- Luigi LaMotta, aged 41, who landed in America from Barcelona, Italy, in 1906
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name lamotta (post 1700) +
- Giacobbe "Jake" LaMotta (1921-2017), nicknamed "The Bronx Bull" and "The Raging Bull", American former world middleweight champion boxer
- Richard LaMotta (1942-2010), American inventor of the Chipwich ice cream sandwich
- Joseph LaMotta (1948-1998), son of boxer Jake LaMotta, president of LaMotta Foods, died aboard Swissair Flight 111 when it crashed
- John LaMotta (b. 1939), American actor
- Giuseppe "Joey" LaMotta (b. 1925), the brother and manager of boxer Jake LaMotta
Related Stories +