lafortune History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as lafortune, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the French people. The original bearer of the name lafortune, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful Guyenne region of France. In France, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The lafortune family originally lived in Guyenne.
Early Origins of the lafortune family
The surname lafortune was first found in Guyenne.
Early History of the lafortune family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lafortune research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1822, 1859, 1860, 1871, and 1875 are included under the topic Early lafortune History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lafortune Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lafortune, Fortune, Fortuné, Fortunat, Fortunade and many more.
Early Notables of the lafortune family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the name was Henry Sixte-Casse Fortuné, born in 1822 in Cabannes or, perhaps, in Nimes. A dealer in fine leather goods, he lived in Carcassonne where he became involved...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lafortune Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name lafortune is the 13,237th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Quebec, Canada, the name lafortune is ranked the 653rd most popular surname. 
lafortune migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
lafortune Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Claude LaFortune, aged 28, who arrived in Canada in 1643
- Jean LaFortune, aged 14, who landed in Canada in 1643
- Marin Lafortune, who was married in Quebec in 1649
- Etienne Lafortune married in Fort-Saint-Louis, Quebec in 1670
- Claude Lafortune married in Pointe-aux-Trembles in 1692
lafortune Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- François Lafortune married in l'Ange-Gardien in 1737
lafortune Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Morin LaFortune, who arrived in Canada in 1848
- Francois LaFortune, who landed in Montreal in 1863
Contemporary Notables of the name lafortune (post 1700) +
- Felicity LaFortune (b. 1954), American television actress
- Robert J. LaFortune, American Republican politician, Mayor of Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1970-78; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, 1972 
- Ethel A. LaFortune, American Democratic Party politician, Member of Michigan Democratic State Central Committee, 1951; Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Lapeer County, 1952 
- François Jacques Marie Gerard Lafortune (1932-2020), Belgian rifle shooter who competed at seven Olympic Games from 1952 to 1976
- Claude Lafortune (1936-2020), Canadian multiple-award winning paper artist, set decorator and TV personality from Montreal
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://statistique.quebec.ca/fr/document/noms-de-famille-au-quebec/tableau/les-1-000-premiers-noms-de-famille-selon-le-rang-quebec
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 1) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html