Kunkle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Kunkle surname is derived from the Middle High German word "kunkel," which meant "spindle." It is thus supposed that the first bearers of this surname were spindle makers in occupation.
Early Origins of the Kunkle family
The surname Kunkle was first found in Bavaria, where the family was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. Early records show a Dithart Kunkele, in Gieben in 1356, and a bearer of Kunkerl, who was a Pilgrim in 1379. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Early History of the Kunkle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kunkle research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1630, 1638, 1693, 1703, 1751, and 1813 are included under the topic Early Kunkle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kunkle Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gunkel, Kinkel, Kunkel, Kuenkel, Kenkel, Gunkle, Kunkle, Künkel, Kinkle, Künkler, Gunkler and many more.
Early Notables of the Kunkle family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kunkle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Kunkle is the 6,030th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Kunkle migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kunkle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Peter Kunkle, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Kunkle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Henry Kunkle, aged 33, who arrived in Missouri in 1840 
- Philip Kunkle, who arrived in Ohio in 1854
- Georg Kunkle, aged 35, who settled in America, in 1893
Kunkle Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mary Kunkle, aged 8, who landed in America, in 1907
- Ambrose Kunkle, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1913
- Ambrose A. Kunkle, aged 39, who immigrated to the United States, in 1916
- Nora F Kunkle, aged 31, who immigrated to America, in 1918
- Paul Anthony Kunkle, aged 3, who landed in America, in 1918
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Kunkle (post 1700) +
- Fredrick Kunkle, American journalist and reporter for the Washington Post
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)