Kumpf History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Kumpf name is derived from the Middle High German word "kampf," meaning "fight;" thus it may have originally been an occupational name for a successful fighter; or perhaps a nickname for someone known to lose his temper.
Early Origins of the Kumpf family
The surname Kumpf was first found in Swabia, where the family contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation and would later play a large role in the political conflicts of the area. The family branched into many houses, many of which acquired estates and manors throughout the surrounding regions, where they played significant roles in the social and political affairs. Individual bearers of the name first mentioned in ancient chronicles include Friczsche Kempf of Eger, Bohemia (c.1392,) and Jacob Kempf of Strassburg (c.1295).
Early History of the Kumpf family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kumpf research. Another 191 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1759, 1764, 1759 and 1758 are included under the topic Early Kumpf History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kumpf Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kempf, Kempfer, Kempfen, Kemphen, Kempfle, Kaempf, Kaempfer, Kaempfen, Kaemphen, Kaempfle, Kampf, Kampfer, Kampfen, Kamphen, Kampfle, Kempff, Kaempff, Kempffen, Kaempffen, Kempffe, Kaempffe and many more.
Early Notables of the Kumpf family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kumpf Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kumpf migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kumpf Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wilhelm Kumpf, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1771 
- Christoph Kumpf, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1785 
- J W Kumpf, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1787 
Kumpf Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Kumpf, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kumpf (post 1700) +
- Henry Christian Kumpf (1830-1904), American elected to three one-year terms as Mayor of Kansas City, Missouri in 1886-1888
- Henry Christian Kumpf (1830-1904), American Republican politician, Mayor of Kansas City, Missouri, 1886-88 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html