Kuhns History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Similar to many Austrian family names, the distinguished surname Kuhns is a proud sign of a rich and ancient ancestry. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Austria were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. The name Kuhns is derived from the Old German name Conrad, which is composed of the elements "kuoni," meaning "daring" or "brave," and "rad," meaning "counsel."
Early Origins of the Kuhns family
The surname Kuhns was first found in Austria, where the family gained a significant reputation for its contributions to the emerging mediaeval society. The name became prominent as many branches of the family founded separate houses and acquired estates in various regions, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Kuhns family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kuhns research. Another 240 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1540, 1645, 1687, 1700, 1726, 1748, 1770, 1775, 1806, 1849, and 1857 are included under the topic Early Kuhns History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kuhns Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kuhn, Kuehn, Kuehne, Kuehnel, Cuhn, Cuehn, Cuehne and many more.
Early Notables of the Kuhns family (pre 1700)
During this period prominent bearers of the name Kuhns were August Kuehnel (1645-c.1700), who was a distinguished German composer and mastered the viola da gamba. Gottlieb Jakob Kuhn...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kuhns Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Kuhns is the 5,366th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Kuhns migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kuhns Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Michael Kuhns, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1760 
- Bernard Kuhns, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Kuhns Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jos Kuhns, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1802 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kuhns (post 1700) +
- William T. Kuhns, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Ohio, 1924 
- William R. Kuhns, American politician, American Independent Candidate for Iowa State Senate 43rd District, 1970 
- Katherine Kuhns, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Dakota, 1960 
- Joseph Henry Kuhns (1800-1883), American politician, Representative from Pennsylvania 19th District, 1851-53 
- Donald E. Kuhns, American politician, Mayor of Kennewick, Washington, 1978-83 
- Dewey E. S. Kuhns, American Democratic Party politician, Kanawha County Sheriff 
- A. J. Kuhns, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 4th District, 1895-98; Member of South Dakota State Senate 5th District, 1915-18 
Historic Events for the Kuhns family +
- Friedrich Kuhns (1915-1941), German Maschinenmaat who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Bismarck & Tirpitz Class - Crew List Bismarck. (Retrieved 2018, February 06). Retrieved from https://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/crew/bismarck_crew.html#crew_details