100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German-Alt, German
The name is derived from the Middle high German word "krol," meaning "curly."
The surname Kroll was first found in Prussia where the family made a considerable contribution to the feudal society which shaped modern Europe. The family branched into several houses, all of which played an important role in the local political conflicts which forged the nation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Krol, Krolls, Krols, Croll, Krole and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kroll research. Another 79 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1563, 1609, 1797, 1848 and 1837 are included under the topic Early Kroll History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 79 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kroll Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kroll Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christoph Kroll, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Christoph Kroll, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Peter Kroll who settled in Philadelphia county, Pennsylvania in 1734
- Hans Jerg Kroll, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Johan Martin Kroll, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751
Kroll Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Sam Hinrick Kroll, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Friederica Carol Christ Kroll, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Anna Kroll, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Fried Karl Kroll, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1807
- Joseph Kroll, aged 30, arrived in Missouri in 1841
Kroll Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cecilie Kroll, who landed in California in 1922
- John B. Kroll, American politician, Village President of Franklin Park, Illinois, 1931-33
- Jacob Kroll, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1944, 1948
- Douglas Kroll, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 2008
- Woodrow M. Kroll (b. 1944), American evangelist, principal of the "Back to the Bible" radio ministry
- William Kroll (1901-1980), American violinist and composer, best known for his composition Banjo and Fiddle for violin and piano
- Nicholas J. "Nick" Kroll (b. 1978), American actor, screenwriter, producer, and comedian, best known for his role as Rodney Ruxin on The League and his Comedy Central program, Kroll Show, son of Jules Kroll
- Jules B. Kroll (b. 1941), American founder and CEO of Kroll Bond Rating Agency and Chairman of K2Global
- Ted Kroll (1919-2002), American PGA professional golfer who had 8 PGA Tour wins
- Leon Kroll (1884-1974), American painter and lithographer, elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters
- Milton P Kroll (b. 1914), prominent American lawyer who was educated at Harvard
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
The Kroll Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kroll Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 October 2015 at 11:49.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!