Kretz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Kretz is derived from the Old German word "Kretscham," meaning "inn." The name was most likely first borne by an innkeeper.
Early Origins of the Kretz family
The surname Kretz was first found in Saxony, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The earliest recorded bearer was Henczel Kreczmar, who lived in Jitschin in 1363.
Early History of the Kretz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kretz research. Another 97 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1730, 1793, and 1867 are included under the topic Early Kretz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kretz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kartschner, Kartschmer, Kretschmar, Karczmar, Karczmarski, Karczmarek, Kretzschmer, Kretchmann, Kretschmeyer, Kartschmeyer, Kartchmann, Karstener, Creekmore, Kretschmer, Kretzchmar, Cretschemer, Kreczmer and many more.
Early Notables of the Kretz family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kretz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kretz migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kretz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Michael Kretz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754 
- David Kretz, who landed in America in 1781 
Kretz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andreas Kretz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Charles Kretz, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1856 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kretz (post 1700) +
- Kate Kretz (b. 1963), American artist
- Joel Kretz (b. 1957), American politician, Member of the Washington House of Representatives (2005-)
- Ed Kretz Sr (1911-1996), nicknamed Ed "Iron Man" Kretz, American motorcycle racer who competed in the 1930s and 1940s
- Eric Kretz (b. 1966), American musician and producer, best known as the drummer for the rock band Stone Temple Pilots
- Richard Kretz (1865-1920), Austrian pathologist and professor of pathology at the University of Würzburg
- Johannes Kretz (b. 1968), Austrian composer and teacher
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)