100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German
The origin of the proud surname Kraus can be traced to the historic kingdom of Bohemia, which today encompasses the Czech republic. The name is derived from the Upper German word "Kraus," meaning "curly."
The surname Kraus was first found in Bohemia, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Krauss, Krausse, Kraus, Krause, Krausser, Krauser, Crauss, Crausse, Craus and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kraus research. Another 367 words (26 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1792, 1792, 1861, 1855, 1671, 1787, 1816, 1655, 1719, 1737, 1806, 1756, 1792, 1781 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Kraus History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 109 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kraus Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kraus Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Michael Kraus and John Georg Kraus, both of whom emigrated to America in 1709
- Johannes Kraus, who came to Philadelphia in 1727
- Wilhelm Kraus came to Philadelphia in 1733
- Christoper Kraus, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1748
- Hans Joerg Kraus, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
Kraus Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wolf Kraus, aged 28, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1845
- Andrew Kraus, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- Arnold Kraus, aged 52, landed in Missouri in 1848
- Lorenz Kraus, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1849
- Jacob Kraus, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1851
Kraus Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Kraus, who landed in Alabama in 1921
Kraus Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Clara Kraus, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Johanna Kraus, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Johannes Kraus, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- William Kraus (1813-1883), American Republican politician, Mayor of Toledo, Ohio, 1869-71
- Virgil Kraus, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Idaho, 1972
- Thomas Kraus, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1916
- Steven Kraus, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 2008
- Rose Kraus, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Kings County 3rd District, 1958
- Paul Kraus (b. 1978), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 1996, 2000
- Mortimer Kraus, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 21st District, 1930
- Milton Kraus (1866-1942), American Republican politician, U.S. Representative from Indiana 11th District, 1917-23
- Michelle Kraus, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2004
- James Kraus, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2004
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Kraus Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kraus Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 October 2015 at 11:19.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!