on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Polish Kozlowski family come from? What is the Polish Kozlowski family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kozlowski family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kozlowski family history?The name Kozlowski is a proud emblem of the ancient Polish homeland. Over the course of its history, the boundaries of Poland changed frequently and Polish names have much in common with other Slavic names in the way they are formed. Polish surnames often end with a diminutive suffix, such as -owicz, ak, ski or ska. While the "patronymic" surname, which is derived from the name of the father, is the most common form of a hereditary surname in the Poland; there are also "occupational" surnames. An occupational type of surname, the family name Kozlowski is derived from the occupation of goat herd. This name is a derivative of the word koza which means goat and, since this used to be a rather common profession, there were many bearers of the name. In fact, Kozlowski is one of the most common surnames in contemporary Poland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kozlovski, Kozlovsky, Kozlowski, Kozlowsky and others.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kozlowski Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Abraham Kozlowski, aged 9, who emigrated to the United States from Visok, Russia, in 1908
- Adam Kozlowski, aged 26, who settled in America from Leutvoeow, Russia, in 1913
- Alexander Kozlowski, aged 19, who emigrated to America from Nowograd, Russia, in 1913
- Adela Kozlowski, aged 3, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- Aleksander Kozlowski, aged 32, who landed in America from Nowogrod, Poland, in 1922
- Linda Kozlowski (b. 1958), American actress
- Brian Scott Kozlowski (b. 1970), American football tight end
- Glen Kozlowski (b. 1962), former professional American football player
- Benjamin Anthony Kozlowski (b. 1980), American Major League Baseball left-handed pitcher
- Michael John Kozlowski (b. 1956), American professional football safety
- Casey Kozlowski, American Republican member of the Ohio House of Representatives
- Stanley J. Kozlowski (1924-1972), American football fullback
- Joseph Stanley Kozlowski (1912-1992), American portrait and watercolor artist
- Marian Kozlowski (1927-2004), Polish basketball administrator
- Mr. Kost Kozlowski (d. 1915), Polish 3rd Class passenger residing in Clarksburg, USA returning to Poland, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- White, Davis, and S. Jeanne. People of Polonia: The 1910 Census ward Two--Baltimore City Maryland, Part1. Baltimore, MD: Historyk Press, 1994. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Boniecki, Adam. Szymon Konarski, and Artur . Herbarz Polski Polish Armorial, 16 Volumes. Poland: Wydawnictwa Artystyczne i Filmowe, 1907. Print.
- Hoffman, William F. Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings. 2nd Ed. Chicago: Polish Genealogical Society of America, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0-924207-04-3).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Kozlowski Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kozlowski Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 January 2015 at 13:28.
on orders of $85 or more