Origins Available: German
The roots of the distinguished German Kort lie in the northern region of Schleswig-Holstein. There are two possible origins for this name. Firstly, Kort is derived from the personal name
"Konrad," a very popular name in Germany
during the Middle Ages; in this instance, the name Kort would mean "son of Konrad." Alternatively, the name could derive from the Low German word "kort," meaning "short." In this instance, it is likely that the name was bestowed as a nickname
upon the original bearer, probably a short person, who then passed it down to his descendants as a surname.
Early Origins of the Kort family
The surname Kort was first found in the city of Hamburg, where the surname is believed to have first emerged. Johannes dictus Curt, living in Hamburg in 1297, is the earliest known bearer of the name. The young Kort family was instrumental during this early period, playing an important role in the development of the society of Schleswig-Holstein.
Early History of the Kort family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kort research.Another 261 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1297 and 1457 are included under the topic Early Kort History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kort Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Kort family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kort Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kort family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kort Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Amanda Kort, aged 16, who landed in America, in 1894
- Heinerich Kort, aged 16, who landed in America, in 1894
- Helene Kort, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
Kort Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Barteld Kort, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1903
- Franciazek Kort, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1905
- Friedrich Kort, aged 21, who landed in America from Lubeck, in 1906
- Henry Kort, aged 35, who settled in America, in 1906
- Eva Kort, aged 17, who landed in America from Zopaczyska, Russia, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Kort (post 1700)
- Ellen Kort, American poet, the first Poet Laureate of Wisconsin (2000)
- Michael Kort (b. 1944), American historian, academic, and author