Kohli History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient and distinguished surname Kohli is of German origin. The name is derived from the Alemmanic word "Kohler," meaning "charcoal burner," and was most likely originally borne by a practitioner of this occupation.
Early Origins of the Kohli family
The surname Kohli was first found in Saxony, where the family rose to prominence early in the mediaeval era. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of what would become the German nation.
Early History of the Kohli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kohli research. Another 119 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1719, 1602, 1658, 1719 and 1800 are included under the topic Early Kohli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kohli Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kohler, Koehler, Koler, Kolar, Koller, Kollar, Koeler, Koelar, Koelle, Koeller, Koellar, Koellner, Koelner, Coler, Cohler, Coeler and many more.
Early Notables of the Kohli family (pre 1700)
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kohli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Kohli migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kohli Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Georg Kohli, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751 
- Hans Kohli, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751 
- Jacob Kohli, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751 
Kohli Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Kohli, aged 52, who landed in New York, NY in 1853 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Kohli (post 1700) ||+|
- Kunal Kohli, Indian film director, producer, writer and chef
- Faqir Chand "F.C." Kohli (b. 1924), Indian industrialist, founder and first CEO of Tata Consultancy Services, India's largest software consultancy company
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)