on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Koehler family come from? What is the German Koehler family crest and coat of arms? When did the Koehler family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Koehler family history?The ancient and distinguished surname Koehler is of German origin. The name is derived from the Alemmanic word "Kohler," meaning "charcoal burner," and was most likely originally borne by a practitioner of this occupation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kohler, Koehler, Koler, Kolar, Koller, Kollar, Koeler, Koelar, Koelle, Koeller, Koellar, Koellner, Koelner, Coler, Cohler, Coeler and many more.
First found in Saxony, where the family rose to prominence early in the mediaeval era. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of what would become the German nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Koehler research. Another 237 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1719, 1602, 1658 and 1719 are included under the topic Early Koehler History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 49 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Koehler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Koehler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Philip Koehler, aged 21, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Johs Koehler, who arrived in America in 1750-1753
- Henrich Wilhelm Koehler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Johann Koehler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Albright Koehler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1761
Koehler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ludwick Koehler, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Herman A Koehler, who landed in Maryland in 1838
- Conrad Koehler, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Nicholaus Koehler, who settled in Missouri in 1849
- Heinrich Koehler, who landed in Missouri in 1849
Koehler Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Julius Koehler, who landed in Arkansas in 1906
Koehler Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Elisabeth Koehler, who arrived in Quebec in 1850
- Regina Koehler, who arrived in Quebec in 1850
- Isaac Koehler, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Thomas R. "Tom" Koehler (b. 1986), American Major League Baseball player
- Judy Koehler, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from Illinois, 1986
- John P. Koehler, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Wisconsin, 1944, 1948
- John C. Koehler, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 24th District, 1994
- Herman L. Koehler (b. 1849), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1913-16; Member of Michigan State Senate 1st District, 1917-18
- Fred T. Koehler, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Windsor Locks, Connecticut, 1925-33
- Fred Koehler, American Republican politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Erie County 6th District, 1936; Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 41st District, 1936
- Francis C. Koehler, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New Jersey 6th District, 1926
- Bert A. Koehler, American Democrat politician, Member of New York Democratic State Committee, 1945; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1948, 1960
- Margaret Koehler, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 2008
- Keen, Koehler, Kuntzi by Ray A. Keen.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Koehler Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Koehler Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 November 2015 at 11:51.
on orders of $85 or more