on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Koehler family come from? What is the German Koehler family crest and coat of arms? When did the Koehler family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Koehler family history?The ancient and distinguished surname Koehler is of German origin. The name is derived from the Alemmanic word "Kohler," meaning "charcoal burner," and was most likely originally borne by a practitioner of this occupation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kohler, Koehler, Koler, Kolar, Koller, Kollar, Koeler, Koelar, Koelle, Koeller, Koellar, Koellner, Koelner, Coler, Cohler, Coeler and many more.
First found in Saxony, where the family rose to prominence early in the mediaeval era. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of what would become the German nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Koehler research. Another 237 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1719, 1602, 1658 and 1719 are included under the topic Early Koehler History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 49 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Koehler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Koehler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Philip Koehler, aged 21, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Johs Koehler, who arrived in America in 1750-1753
- Henrich Wilhelm Koehler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Johann Koehler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Albright Koehler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1761
Koehler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ludwick Koehler, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Herman A Koehler, who landed in Maryland in 1838
- Conrad Koehler, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- Nicholaus Koehler, who settled in Missouri in 1849
- Heinrich Koehler, who landed in Missouri in 1849
Koehler Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Julius Koehler, who landed in Arkansas in 1906
Koehler Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Elisabeth Koehler, who arrived in Quebec in 1850
- Regina Koehler, who arrived in Quebec in 1850
- Isaac Koehler, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Robert Earl Koehler (b. 1924), American editor
- Ted Koehler (1894-1973), American lyricist, inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1972
- Thomas R. "Tom" Koehler (b. 1986), American Major League Baseball player
- Johann Gottfried Koehler (1745-1801), German astronomer
- Robert Koehler (1850-1917), German born painter and art teacher
- Donald A. Koehler (1925-1981), the tallest man in the world from 1969 until his death in 1981
- Keen, Koehler, Kuntzi by Ray A. Keen.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
The Koehler Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Koehler Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 February 2015 at 22:29.
on orders of $85 or more