on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Knauss family come from? What is the German Knauss family crest and coat of arms? When did the Knauss family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Knauss family history?There are two distinct origins for the distinguished surname Knauss. Firstly, the name may have emerged in Bavaria, derived from the Middle High German word "knuss," meaning "bold, arrogant." Alternatively, the name may be derived from the Swabian word "Knaus," meaning "crust;" in this instance, the name would have been originally borne by a crude, tough person.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Knauss, Knaus, Knäussle, Knaust, Knauser, Knausle and many more.
First found in the area of Waiblingen. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was der Knus, who lived in the nearby town of Offingen in 1350. The young Knauss family was instrumental during this early period, playing a major role in the development of medieval Bavarian society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Knauss research. Another 224 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1350, 1380, 1381, 1621, 1724, and 1789 are included under the topic Early Knauss History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Knauss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Knauss Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anthon Knauss, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Johan Henrich Knauss, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Johannes Knauss, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Christian Fried Knauss, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- John Knauss, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753
Knauss Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Knauss, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857
- John Atkinson Knauss (1925-2015), American oceanographer, meteorologist and administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration from 1989 to 1993
- Mary Ann Knauss, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for New York, 1972
- Frederic E. Knauss, American Republican politician, Member of New York Republican State Committee, 1936; Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1948 (alternate), 1952
- Francis J. Knauss, American politician, Justice of Colorado State Supreme Court, 1951-61; Chief Justice of Colorado Supreme Court, 1959-60
- Francis J. Knauss, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Colorado 1st District, 1927; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Colorado, 1932
- Daniel G. Knauss, American politician, U.S. Attorney for Arizona, 1993
- Harold Paul Knauss (b. 1900), American physicist and author
- Sarah DeRemer Knauss (1880-1999), American supercentenarian considered the world's oldest living person by Guinness World Records
- Frieder Knauss (b. 1922), well-known German artist
- Melania Knauss (b. 1974), Slovenian fashion model, married to business tycoon Donald Trump
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
The Knauss Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Knauss Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 November 2015 at 11:18.
on orders of $85 or more