Knaus History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
There are two distinct origins for the distinguished surname Knaus. Firstly, the name may have emerged in Bavaria, derived from the Middle High German word "knuss," meaning "bold, arrogant." Alternatively, the name may be derived from the Swabian word "Knaus," meaning "crust;" in this instance, the name would have been originally borne by a crude, tough person.
Early Origins of the Knaus family
The surname Knaus was first found in the area of Waiblingen. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was der Knus, who lived in the nearby town of Offingen in 1350. The young Knaus family was instrumental during this early period, playing a major role in the development of medieval Bavarian society.
Early History of the Knaus family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Knaus research. Another 154 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1350, 1380, 1381, 1621, 1724, and 1789 are included under the topic Early Knaus History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Knaus Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Knauss, Knaus, Knäussle, Knaust, Knauser, Knausle and many more.
Early Notables of the Knaus family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Knaus Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Knaus migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Knaus Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Knaus, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753 
Knaus Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- F Knaus, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1860 
Contemporary Notables of the name Knaus (post 1700) +
- Chad Anthony Knaus (b. 1971), American NASCAR crew chief
- Zachary Knaus, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2000 
- Whitney Knaus, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2004 
- Tim Knaus, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2000 
- Ludwig Knaus (1829-1910), German genre painter
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html