Klingman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Klingman is a local surname; more specifically, it is a topographical surname, derived from a feature of the physical geography near where the original bearer lived or held land. Checking further we found the name was derived from the Old German word for ravine or gorge.
Early Origins of the Klingman family
The surname Klingman was first found in Swabia, where this family made important contributions toward the development of this district from ancient times. Always prominent in social and political affairs, the family formed alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. Individual bearers of this name first mentioned in ancient chronicles include Hugo der Clingere of Breisgau (c.1200,) Heydeke bei dem Clinghe of Quedlinburg in the Harz Mountains (c.1300,) Clingeler of Wuerttemberg (c.1283,) and Heincz in der Clingen of Wuerzburg (c.1409).
Early History of the Klingman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Klingman research. Another 186 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1752, 1812, and 1831 are included under the topic Early Klingman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Klingman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kling, Klingel, Klinge, Klinger, Klingler, Klingen, Klingle, Klingele, Klinghe, Clinghe, Cling, Clingel, Clinge, Clinger, Clingere, Clingen, Clingle, Clingeler, Klingeler, Klinglin and many more.
Early Notables of the Klingman family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Klingman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Klingman migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Klingman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Georg Klingman, aged 27, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1732 
- Hans George Klingman, aged 24, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732 
- Kathrina Klingman, aged 24, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1732 
- Thoredea Klingman, aged 25, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732 
- Peter Klingman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1762 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Klingman (post 1700) +
- Mark "Moogy" Klingman (1950-2011), American musician and songwriter
- Homer Klingman, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Ionia County, 1960 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html