100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Klinger is a local
surname; more specifically, it is a topographical surname, derived from a feature of the physical geography near where the original bearer lived or held land. Checking further we found the name was derived from the Old German word for ravine or gorge.
The surname Klinger was first found in Swabia, where this family made important contributions toward the development of this district from ancient times. Always prominent in social and political affairs, the family formed alliances with other families within the Feudal
System and the nation. Individual bearers of this name first mentioned in ancient chronicles include Hugo der Clingere of Breisgau (c.1200,) Heydeke bei dem Clinghe of Quedlinburg in the Harz Mountains (c.1300,) Clingeler of Wuerttemberg (c.1283,) and Heincz in der Clingen of Wuerzburg (c.1409).
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kling, Klingel, Klinge, Klinger, Klingler, Klingen, Klingle, Klingele, Klinghe, Clinghe, Cling, Clingel, Clinge, Clinger, Clingere, Clingen, Clingle, Clingeler, Klingeler, Klinglin and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Klinger research. Another 245 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1752, 1812, and 1831 are included under the topic Early Klinger History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Klinger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Klinger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Nicolaes Klinger, who landed in New York in 1709
- John Henrick Klinger and Dewald Klingler arrived in Philadelphia in 1738
- Dewald Klinger, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Alexander Klinger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Johannes Klinger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
Klinger Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Klinger, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840
- Christian Klinger, who landed in Texas in 1846
- George Klinger, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1847
- Friedrich Klinger, aged 4, landed in New York in 1854
- Auguste Klinger, aged 19, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1893
- William H. Klinger, American politician, Burgess of West Pittston, Pennsylvania, 1927
- Thomas S. Klinger, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Maryland 5th District, 1920
- Jack W. Klinger, American politician, Representative from Texas 29th District, 1996
- Floyd A. Klinger, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1944 (alternate), 1948; Presidential Elector for California, 1948
- Charles E. Klinger, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 12th District, 1944
- Max Klinger (1857-1920), German Symbolist painter, sculptor, printmaker, and writer
- Friedrich Maximilian Klinger (1752-1831), German dramatist and novelist
- Michael Klinger (1921-1989), British film producer
- Julius Klinger (1876-1942), Austrian painter, draftsman, illustrator, commercial graphic artist, typographer and writer
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Klinger Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Klinger Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 December 2015 at 01:36.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!