Kestner History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient roots of the Kestner family are found in the German state of Bavaria. Kestner was a local name, for someone who lived in Franconia where their name rose to prominence through their involvement in the social and cultural affairs of the area.
Early Origins of the Kestner family
The surname Kestner was first found in Franconia, where the name was an integral part of the feudal society which would shape modern European history. Many prominent branches of the family would strive to make this name renowned as they contributed to the social, economic and political affairs of the region.
Early History of the Kestner family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kestner research. Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1306, 1468, 1565, 1635, 1810, 1769, 1741, 1800 and 1773 are included under the topic Early Kestner History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kestner Spelling Variations
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Kestner include Kaestner, Kastner, Kestner, Kastener, Kaestener, Kestener, Cestner, Kesstner, Kaesstner, Kasstner, Castner, Caestner, Koestner, Kostner, Coestner and many more.
Early Notables of the Kestner family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the name Kestner in this period include Franz de Paula Andreas Joseph Bonaventura Castner von Collenbach (b.1769), Lord of the estate Collenbach near Staubing in Bavaria, who distinguished himself as a lawyer and major of the Bavarian regiment of Viechtach. Johann Georg Christian Kestner...
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kestner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kestner migration to the United States +
German settlers were among the most common to come to North America between the mid-17th and mid-20th centuries. Poverty and religious persecution drove many Bavarians to make this long trek. tenant farmers were also enticed by the prospect of owning land. From east to west, these German immigrants populated the United States, settling in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Ontario and the prairie provinces of Canada also provided homes to many. Early settlers bearing the Kestner surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Kestner Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Kestner, who landed in America in 1780 
Kestner Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Kestner, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1871 
- Charles Kestner, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1871
- Georg Kestner, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1892
- Gertrud Kestner, aged 64, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Johann Kestner, aged 35, who settled in America, in 1895
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Kestner Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Clara Kestner, aged 47, who landed in America, in 1908
- Bernhard Kestner, aged 56, who immigrated to the United States, in 1913
Contemporary Notables of the name Kestner (post 1700) +
- Boyd Kestner (b. 1964), American actor, best known for his starring role in The Outsiders television series
- Darrell Kestner (b. 1953), American professional golfer
- R. E. Kestner, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Florida, 1948 
- Mrs. James V. Kestner, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Tennessee, 1972 
- Bernhard Kestner, American politician, Burgess of Brentwood, Pennsylvania, 1927-29 
- Georg Christian August Kestner (1777-1853), German diplomat and art collector
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html