Kester History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German state of Bavaria is the ancestral home of the Kester family. Kester is a local name. Kester is a name for someone who lived in Franconia where their name rose to prominence through their involvement in the social and cultural affairs of the area.
Early Origins of the Kester family
The surname Kester was first found in Franconia, where the name was an integral part of the feudal society which would shape modern European history. Many prominent branches of the family would strive to make this name renowned as they contributed to the social, economic and political affairs of the region.
Early History of the Kester family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kester research. Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1306, 1468, 1565, 1635, 1810, 1769, 1741, 1800 and 1773 are included under the topic Early Kester History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kester Spelling Variations
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Kester include Kaestner, Kastner, Kestner, Kastener, Kaestener, Kestener, Cestner, Kesstner, Kaesstner, Kasstner, Castner, Caestner, Koestner, Kostner, Coestner and many more.
Early Notables of the Kester family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the name Kester in this period include Franz de Paula Andreas Joseph Bonaventura Castner von Collenbach (b.1769), Lord of the estate Collenbach near Staubing in Bavaria, who distinguished himself as a lawyer and major of the Bavarian regiment of Viechtach. Johann Georg Christian Kestner...
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kester Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kester migration to the United States +
European migration to North America began in the mid-17th century and continued unabated until the mid-20th. Many Bavarians made the long trip to escape poverty or persecution based on their religious beliefs. The chance for tenant farmers to own their own land was also a major drawing card. They settled all across the United States in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Many came to Canada also, settling in Ontario and the prairie provinces. Analysis of immigration records has shown some of the first Kesters to arrive in North America, and among them were:
Kester Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henr Kester, who landed in Carolina in 1742 
- Matheus Kester, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Christoph Kester, who landed in New York, NY in 1782 
Kester Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mrs. Charles Kester, who arrived in America in 1852 
- Frederick Kester, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1853 
Kester migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Kester Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Kester, aged 39, a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Stamboul"
- James Kester, aged 17, a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Stamboul"
Contemporary Notables of the name Kester (post 1700) +
- Randall B. Kester (1916-2012), American attorney and judge, the 69th Associate Justice on the Oregon Supreme Court
- Paul Kester (1870-1933), American playwright and novelist
- Kenneth Kester (b. 1936), American politician, Republican member of the Colorado Senate
- Ralph D. Kester, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Enid, Oklahoma, 1937-67 (acting, 1937-38) 
- Peter S. Kester (1843-1914), American politician, Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1893 
- Isaac N. Kester (b. 1832), American politician, Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1879, 1883, 1891 
- Desmond Kester, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Palmdale, California, 2001, 2005, 2009 
- Prof. Raplh Charles Kester B.E.M., British recipient of the British Empire Medal on 8th June 2018, for services to Rugby Union Football in Yorkshire 
- Major Gen Kester Lovejoy Hastings (1897-1983), Quartermaster of the U.S. Army
- Kester Bernarr Grimes (1905-1985), American politician, Mayor of Pullman, Washington, 1952-58 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62310, 31 October 2019 | London Gazette, The Gazette, June 2018, https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/62310/supplement/B1
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html