Katzer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished and ancient German surname Katzer is derived from the High German word "Kutsche," itself derived from the Hungarian "kocsi," meaning "coach." It is likely that the progenitor of the name was a coach driver.
Early Origins of the Katzer family
The surname Katzer was first found in Munich, where several notable branches of the Katzer family were already beginning to emerge. The written history of the surname dates back to 1482, when Niclas and Wilhelm Kutzer were registered as citizens of Bavaria
in 1482. The young Katzer family played a crucial role in the early history of the region, and contributed greatly to the development of medieval Bavarian society.
Early History of the Katzer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Katzer research.Another 267 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1698, 1709, 1714, 1717, and 1732 are included under the topic Early Katzer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Katzer Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Kutzer, Kützer, Kotzer, Kötzer, Kuzer and many more.
Early Notables of the Katzer family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Katzer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Katzer family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Katzer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Carl Katzer, who arrived in Baltimore in 1831
- Alois Katzer, who settled in New York, NY in 1892
Contemporary Notables of the name Katzer (post 1700)
- Georg Katzer (b. 1935), German contemporary composer, a pioneer of electronic new music
- Rudolf Katzer (b. 1888), German track cycling racer at the 1908 Summer Olympics
- Markus Katzer (b. 1979), Austrian football player
- Frederick Xavier Katzer (1844-1903), Austrian-born prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, third bishop of the Diocese of Green Bay (1886-1891)
Katzer Family Crest Products