on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Kanter was first found in Pomerania, where the family contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation and would later play a large role in the political conflicts of the area. The family branched into many houses, many of which acquired estates and manors throughout the surrounding regions, where they played significant roles in the social and political affairs. Individual bearers of the name first mentioned in ancient chronicles include Arnold Cantor of Rostock in 1298, and Andreas Kanther of Stuttgart in 1498. The literal meaning of the name is the ecclesiastic position of cantor.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kanter, Canter, Kante, Cante, Kant, Cant, Kahnt, Kantt, Cantt, Kanther, Kanters, Cantor (Latin), Kantor, Kanthor, Canthor, Kanthen and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kanter research. Another 188 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1724, 1727, and 1804 are included under the topic Early Kanter History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kanter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: David Kant, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1805.
- Samuel A. Kanter, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1964
- Norman C. Kanter, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 37th District, 1962
- Kate B. Kanter, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1928
- Julian P. Kanter, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1960
- Judith Kanter, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1988
- Herschel Kanter, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Virginia, 1996
- Edward Kanter, American Democrat politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1857; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1876
- Rosabeth Moss Kanter (b. 1943), American professor of management, consultant and writer
- Hal Kanter (b. 1918), American writer, director and actor, he was an executive producer on the TV show 'All in the Family' and head writer for 'Bob Hope'
- Carl Irwin Kanter (b. 1932), prominent New York City lawyer
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Kanter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kanter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 October 2015 at 13:13.
on orders of $85 or more