The surname Kamer is an occupational
surname. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the Old German word "kämmerer," which means "chamberlain." A chamberlain was the person in charge of the noble household; to him would fall the duty of ensuring that the castle and court of the noble ran smoothly. This is a surname of office, a subset of the larger set of occupational names.
Early Origins of the Kamer family
The surname Kamer was first found in Bavaria
, where the name Kammer was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Early History of the Kamer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kamer research.Another 194 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1657, 1810, and 1833 are included under the topic Early Kamer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kamer Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Kammer, Kamer, Kammere, Kammeres, Kammers, Kammerr, Kammerrs, Kamerrs, Kamerr, Kammerer, Cammer and many more.
Early Notables of the Kamer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kamer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kamer family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kamer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Wilhelm Kamer, who landed in New York, NY in 1710 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Kamer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ernestina Kamer, aged 1, who landed in America from Nowosielitra, in 1893
- Anna Kamer, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1894
- Gusta Kamer, aged 10, who landed in America, in 1895
Kamer Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Dominik Kamer, aged 36, who settled in America from Sassel, Switzerland, in 1908
- Abraham Kamer, who settled in America, in 1910
- Israel Kamer, aged 20, who landed in America from Wloctawek, Russia, in 1910
- Hersch Kamer, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Magierow, Austria, in 1911
- Brancie Kamer, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Woinilow, Austria, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Kamer (post 1700)
- Nadja Kamer (b. 1986), Swiss World Cup alpine ski racer