Kaemmerer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Kaemmerer is an occupational surname. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the Old German word "kämmerer," which means "chamberlain." A chamberlain was the person in charge of the noble household; to him would fall the duty of ensuring that the castle and court of the noble ran smoothly. This is a surname of office, a subset of the larger set of occupational names.
Early Origins of the Kaemmerer family
The surname Kaemmerer was first found in Swabia, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Literally the name refers to the courtly administrative position of chamberlain.
Important Dates for the Kaemmerer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kaemmerer research. Another 162 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1148, 1346, 1796, and 1833 are included under the topic Early Kaemmerer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kaemmerer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kammerer, Kaemmerer, Kaemmer, Kammer, Kammerherr, Kemmerer, Kaemmerling, Kaemmler, Kemmerling, Kemmler, Kamerer, Kamer, Cammerer, Caemmerer, Cammer, Camer, Camerer and many more.
Early Notables of the Kaemmerer family (pre 1700)
Notables with the surname Kaemmerer during this period were Jacob Friedrich Kammerer (b.1796), descendant of a line of prominent sieve makers around Stuttgart, who was one of the colorful figures of his time. He was self-taught in Greek, Latin, and chemistry, and was a talented player of the flute, clarinet, and piano. He was popularly known as the inventor of the phosphorescent match stick. In 1833 he was sentenced to two years imprisonment for taking part in the Frankfurt revolution. He escaped to Strassburg, where he built a silk hat factory. In Zurich he built a variety of factories producing match...
Another 117 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kaemmerer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kaemmerer migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kaemmerer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adam Kaemmerer, aged 25, who arrived in New York, NY in 1832 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kaemmerer (post 1700)
- Georg Heinrich Kaemmerer (1824-1875), German banker and politician in Hamburg, member of the supervisory board of the Berlin-Hamburg Railway
- Emmy Kaemmerer (b. 1890), German politician in the Social Democratic Party
- Frederik Hendrik Kaemmerer (1839-1902), Dutch painter
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)