100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Just was first found in Switzerland
, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Just, Juste, Justa, Justen, Juster, Justmann, Justenberg, Justet, Justi, Justingen and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Just research. Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1594 and 1790 are included under the topic Early Just History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Just Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Just Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Just, who landed in Virginia in 1654
- Tho Just, who landed in Virginia in 1663
Just Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Just, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1763
- J August Just, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1773
- Friedrich Just, who landed in America in 1778
- Conrad Just, who arrived in America in 1783
Just Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Just, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1808
- Carl Just, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Dorothea Just, aged 45, landed in America in 1839
- Samuel Just, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1844
- Joh Georg Heinr Just, who landed in Texas in 1845
Just Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Charles De Just, who landed in Canada in 1611
Just Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Ann Just, aged 18, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1859 aboard the ship "North"
Just Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Sarah Just, aged 15, a domestic servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Mariner" in 1849
- Emma Just, aged 21, a domestic servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Mariner" in 1849
- Ward Just (b. 1935), American writer
- Joseph Erwin Just (1916-2003), American Major League Baseball player
- W. A. Just, American politician, Member of Minnesota State Senate 8th District, 1923-26; Defeated, 1926
- O. B. Just, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 41st District, 1945-46, 1949-52; Member of South Dakota State Senate 23rd District, 1947-48
- Jennifer Just, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Connecticut, 2008
- Frederick W. Just, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Mankato, Minnesota, 1946-71 (acting, 1946-48)
- Frank H. Just, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1944
- F. Ward Just, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1956, 1960
- Ernest Just (1883-1941), African-American biologist who is noted for his contributions to marine biology
- Florian Just (b. 1982), German pair skater
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Just Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Just Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 October 2015 at 09:29.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!