Jonathan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Jonathan family
The surname Jonathan was first found in Freienwalde, where the family was widely established in early times.
Important Dates for the Jonathan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jonathan research. Another 76 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1733 and 1752 are included under the topic Early Jonathan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Jonathan Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jonasch, Jonash, Jonas, Jonasz, Jonat, Jonietz, Joneweit, Jonescheit, Joneleit, Jonischkeit, Joneck, Jonek, Jonentz, Jonack and many more.
Early Notables of the Jonathan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Jonathan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Jonathan migration to New Zealand
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Jonathan Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Edmund Jonathan, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cairngorm" in 1863
Contemporary Notables of the name Jonathan (post 1700)
- Dr. Malik Jonathan Ramadhan O.B.E.,, British Consultant and Divisional Director in Emergency Care for Barts Health NHS Trust, was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire on 29th December 2018 for services to Healthcare 
- Dale Jonathan Winton (1955-2018), English radio DJ and television presenter, known for his work on Dale's Supermarket Sweep from 1993 until 2001
- Godbless Jonathan Lema (b. 1976), Tanzanian CHADEMA politician and Member of Parliament for Arusha City
- The Very Rev Cyril Jonathan Meyrick (b. 1952), English cleric, Dean of Exeter (2011-)
- Lee Jonathan Beevers (b. 1983), English footballer who plays for Lincoln City
- Robert Jonathan Demme (1944-2017), American Academy Award winning film director, producer, and screenwriter, best known for directing The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
- Seymour Jonathan Singer (1924-2017), American cell biologist and professor of biology, emeritus, at the University of California, San Diego
- William Jonathan Northen (1835-1913), American politician, Member of Georgia State House of Representatives, 1877, 1880; Member of Georgia State Senate, 1884; Governor of Georgia, 1890-94 
- Craig Jonathan Barnsley (b. 1983), South African born Welsh cricketer
- Father Jonathan DeFelice O.S.B.,, American academic, President of New England's Saint Anselm College in Goffstown
You May Also Like
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html