Johanns History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Like many surnames, the name Johanns is taken from a personal name common in the era when surnames began to be used. Johannes is the Germanic form of John, which comes from the Hebrew name "Yochanan," meaning "Jehovah has favored me with a son" and which became a very popular personal name in Europe because of two saints by the name, Saint John the Baptist and Saint John the Evangelist.
Early Origins of the Johanns family
The surname Johanns was first found in Germany, where the name Johanns came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status.
Important Dates for the Johanns family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Johanns research. Another 68 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1763 and 1844 are included under the topic Early Johanns History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Johanns Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Johan, Johanns, Johannes, Johanes, Johann and others.
Early Notables of the Johanns family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Johanns Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Johanns family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Evan Johannes, who arrived in Virginia in 1659; and Henrig Johan, who settled in New York in 1709 with his wife and four children.
Contemporary Notables of the name Johanns (post 1700)
- Stephanie Johanns (b. 1956), American Republican politician, Member of Nebraska unicameral legislature; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nebraska, 2004 
- Michael Owen Johanns (b. 1950), American Republican politician, Mayor of Lincoln, Nebraska, 1991-98; Governor of Nebraska, 1999-2005; U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, 2005- 
- W Johanns, gastroenterologist
- Michael Johanns, Governor of Nebraska
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html