Izquierdo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The noble surname Izquierdo is of Spanish descent, and is derived from the word "izquierdo" meaning "left." The surname Izquierdo is of nickname origin, being derived from a physical characteristic of the initial bearer. The word "izquierdo" is ultimately of Basque/Celtic origin deriving from a combination of the Basque word "escu" meaning "hand" and the Celtic "kerros" meaning "left." In this instance, the nickname may have been applied, as an easy means of identification, to one who was left handed.
Early Origins of the Izquierdo family
The surname Izquierdo was first found in the northeastern region of Aragon, before extending into most other regions of ancient Spain. However, evidence shows that the Izquierdo surname was also present in the Southern province of Murcia in the early Middle Ages.
Important Dates for the Izquierdo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Izquierdo research. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Izquierdo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Izquierdo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Esquerra, Ezquerra, Izquierda, Esquerdo and others.
Early Notables of the Izquierdo family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Izquierdo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Izquierdo migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Izquierdo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Martin Izquierdo, who arrived in America in 1812 
- Alonso Izquierdo, who arrived in Rio de la Plata in 1835 
- Pedro Izquierdo, who landed in Spanish Main in 1836 
- Andres Izquierdo, who landed in Guatemala in 1838 
- Francisco Izquierdo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1858 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Izquierdo (post 1700)
- Manuel Izquierdo (1928-2009), Spanish sculptor and woodcut artist
- María Izquierdo (1902-1955), Mexican painter
- Ivan Antonio Izquierdo (b. 1937), Argentine-Brazilian scientist and neurobiologist
- Hansel Izquierdo (b. 1977), Cuban retired Major League Baseball pitcher
- Francisco Izquierdo Ríos (1910-1981), professor and writer in Peru
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)