The Ippolito surname of patronymic
origin, that is, it was a name created from the first name of the father of the initial bearer. The name indicates "son of Ippolito, which is an Italian form of an old Latin personal name
Hippolytus. According to Greek mythology Hippolytus was a son of Theseus. The name personal name gained popularity in Italy due to a St. Hippolytus who was martyred in Rome during the reign of Valerian. Another St. Hippolytus was martyred in Sardinia in the third century.
Early Origins of the Ippolito family
The surname Ippolito was first found in Naples, (Italian: Napoli, Latin: Neapolis), but originally came from Mantova (Mantua,) in the northern Italian region of Lombardy.
Early History of the Ippolito family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ippolito research.Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1479, 1520, 1549 and 1621 are included under the topic Early Ippolito History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ippolito Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Ippolito, D'ippolito, D'ippoliti, Dippolito and others.
Early Notables of the Ippolito family (pre 1700)
By the end of the 15th century, southern Italy was known as the Kingdom of Naples, ruled by the house of Aragon
. By the early eighteenth century, the Austrians had gained much of the region, under the rule of the Austrian
emperor Kales VI. However, in 1734, Spaniard Don Carlos defeated... Another 103 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ippolito Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ippolito family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ippolito Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anangela Ippolito, aged 28, who landed in America from Alcamo, Italy, in 1905
- Addolorata Ippolito, aged 5, who emigrated to the United States from Monopoli, Italy, in 1908
- Andrea Ippolito, aged 16, who emigrated to the United States from Castrofilippo, Sicily, in 1911
- Agostino Ippolito, aged 18, who settled in America from Sannicandro, Italy, in 1912
- Alfredo Ippolito, aged 25, who emigrated to America from Rocchetta S. Antonio, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Ippolito (post 1700)
- David Ippolito, American singer /songwriter /playwright
- Jon Ippolito, American artist, educator, new media scholar, and former curator at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- Dennis Ippolito, American professor of political science at Southern Methodist University
- Joseph A Ippolito (d. 1995), American film sound and dialogue editor
- Ciro Ippolito (b. 1947), Italian film director and producer
- Angelo Ippolito (1922-2001), Italian (emigrated to US at age 9), visual artist