Imler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient and distinguished German surname Imler originated in the former duchy of Swabia, where the ancestral home of the family remains to this day. The name is derived from the Middle German word "Himel," meaning "heaven, sky," and developed into a surname through a number of origins. Firstly, "Himmel" is the name of a number of different places throughout Germany; thus, the original bearer of the name may have been a native of one of these areas. Alternatively, the name may have been originally bestowed as a nickname in some form, such as "Himmelstützer" (support the sky) on a very tall person, or "Himmelseher" (sky gazer) on someone who was fond of the stars.
Early Origins of the Imler family
The surname Imler was first found in Swabia, where the family gained a significant reputation for its contributions to the emerging mediaeval society. The name became prominent as many branches of the family founded separate houses and acquired estates in various regions, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The first individual to be recorded in ancient chronicles was Burcardus zem Himel of Basel in 1297.
Early History of the Imler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Imler research. Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1756, 1792, 1795, and 1814 are included under the topic Early Imler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Imler Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Himmel, Himml, Himmler, Himmeler, Himel, Himler, Himeler and many more.
Early Notables of the Imler family (pre 1700)
Notables with the surname Imler during this period were Friedrich Heinrich Himmel (1756-1814), a talented pianist, who became chamber composer to the Prussian court in 1792. In 1795 he...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Imler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Imler is the 11,686th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Imler migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Imler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Marcus Imler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1732 
- Johan Imler, aged 7, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733 
- Ludwig Imler, aged 11, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733 
- Sabina Imler, aged 18, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733 
- Wilhelm Imler, aged 55, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Imler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elisa M Imler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806 
Contemporary Notables of the name Imler (post 1700) +
- Erik Bradley Imler (b. 1971), American former soccer defender who played for various Untied States National Teams in the 1990s
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)