Iglesias History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Iglesias family
The surname Iglesias was first found in Messina (Sicilian: Missina; Latin: Messana), capital of the Italian province of Messina. Its history begins in 397 B.C. After a checkered history the Saracens took it in 831, and the Normans in 1061. It was host to the crusaders in 1190. Garibaldi landed in 1860 and it was the last city to be made a part of united Italy. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. The family name was of a family who held estates in Sicily, Malta and Naples.
Important Dates for the Iglesias family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Iglesias research. Another 100 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1848, 1468 and 1499 are included under the topic Early Iglesias History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Iglesias Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Egnace, Ignatius, Iglesias, Inglese, Ignace and others.
Early Notables of the Iglesias family (pre 1700)
Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Iglesias Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Iglesias migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Iglesias Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cayetano Iglesias, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803 
- Manuel Iglesias, aged 26, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1827 
- Ignacio Iglesias, aged 30, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1834 
- Miguel Jobrinu Iglesias, aged 20, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1837 
- Manuel Maria Iglesias, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1855 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Iglesias (post 1700)
- Enrique Iglesias Presley (b. 1975), International recording artist
- Miguel Iglesias Bonns (b. 1915), Spanish film director
- Luis Iglesias Alvarez (b. 1917), Spanish lawyer
- Antonio Iglesias Alvarez (b. 1918), Spanish pianist
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)