on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Jewish Hurwitz family come from? What is the Jewish Hurwitz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hurwitz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hurwitz family history?The prestigious Jewish surname Hurwitz comes from Bohemia, which is now part of the Czech Republic. In the Middle Ages, people were often known by only one name. As they began moving closer together, it became necessary to adopt surnames, in order to better distinguish themselves from one another. There are a wide variety of hereditary surnames, and the surname Hurwitz is a habitational name. It is taken from the place called Horovice, in Bohemia which is derived from the Slavic element, gora, which means hill.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hurwitz Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Abraham Hurwitz, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States from Minsk, in 1901
- Abrahm Hurwitz, aged 10, who landed in America from Lapitzy, Minsk, Russia, in 1907
- Abraham Hurwitz, aged 42, who settled in America from Kobrin, Russia, in 1907
- Abram Hurwitz, aged 11, who landed in America from Suwenisky, Russia, in 1907
- Abram Hurwitz, aged 7, who emigrated to America from Henie, Russia, in 1909
- David Hurwitz (1905-1992), American physician, professor of medicine, and researcher
- David Hurwitz, American classical music writer, record reviewer, and percussionist
- Harry Hurwitz (1938-1995), American film director, screenwriter, actor and producer
- Gregg Hurwitz, American writer of crime novels and comics
- Mitchell D. Hurwitz (b. 1963), American television writer and producer, best known as the creator of the television sitcom Arrested Development (2003-2006)
- Leo Hurwitz (1909-1991), American documentary filmmaker who was blacklisted during the McCarthy period
- Jonathan Benjamin "Jon" Hurwitz (b. 1977), American screenwriter
- Pauline B. Hurwitz, American politician, Farmer-Labor Candidate for New York State Assembly from Queens County 3rd District, 1921
- Marvin Hurwitz, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Maryland, 2004
- Lynne B. Hurwitz, American Democrat politician, Presidential Elector for New Jersey, 1996
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
The Hurwitz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hurwitz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 October 2015 at 10:49.
on orders of $85 or more