on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Hummel family come from? What is the German Hummel family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hummel family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hummel family history? Bavaria, Germany is the ancestral home of the Hummel family. The Hummel surname evolved as a local name. It is a name for a family that lived in Bavaria from very early times.
In the medieval era, many different cultural groups lived in the German states. There are thus many regional variations of German surnames from that era. Westphalians spoke Low German, which is similar to modern Dutch. Many German names carry suffixes that identify where they came from. Others have phrases attached that identify something about the original bearer. Other variations in German names resulted from the fact that medieval scribes worked without the aid of any spelling rules. The spelling variations of the name Hummel include Hummel, Humel, Hummell, Humell, Hummle, Humle and others.
First found in Bavaria, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hummel research. Another 159 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1817, 1778 and 1837 are included under the topic Early Hummel History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hummel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of German settlers came to North America between the mid-17th and mid-20th centuries. The hardships of the long voyage were balanced by the opportunity to escape poverty and religious persecution. The descendents of these settlers still populate the states of Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Many also live in Ontario and the prairie provinces of Canada. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Hummel or a variant listed above:
Hummel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hermann Hummel, who arrived in New York in 1709-10
- Herman Hummel, who landed in New York in 1709
- Georg Hummel, who arrived in New York, NY in 1710
- Johann Adam Hummel came to Philadelphia in 1732
- Adam Hummel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1732
Hummel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Hummel, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1805
- Margaret Hummel arrived in Mississippi in 1820
- Hannah Hummel came to Georgia in 1840
- Franziska Antoinette Hummel, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1847
- Matthias Hummel, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
Hummel Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Joseph Hummel, who landed in Arkansas in 1906
Hummel Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Christian Hummel, aged 26, arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1902
- Dorothea Hummel, aged 60, arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1902
- Gottlieb Hummel, aged 64, arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1902
- Katharina Hummel, aged 22, arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1902
- Margaretha Hummel, aged 21, landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1902
- Arthur William Hummel (1920-2001), American Ambassador to Pakistan (1977-1981) and the People's Republic of China (1981-85)
- Elizabeth Hummel (b. 1958), American singer-songwriter voted “Best Acoustic Artist” in 1995
- John Edwin Hummel (1883-1959), American Major League Baseball player
- Mark Hummel (b. 1955), American blues harmonica player, vocalist, songwriter
- Berta Hummel (1909-1946), German artist known as nun Maria Innocentia Hummel. She is most famous for the artwork which became the Hummel figurines
- Bertold Hummel (1925-2002), German composer of modern classical music
- Johann Erdmann Hummel (1769-1852), German painter
- Ferdinand Hummel (1855-1928), German composer and musician
- Sister Maria Innocentia Hummel O.S.F. (1909-1946), German Franciscan Sister and artist whose artwork became the very popular Hummel figurines
- Reinhart Hummel (1930-2007), German theologian
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
The Hummel Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hummel Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 February 2015 at 20:57.
on orders of $85 or more