Houdek History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Houdek family
The surname Houdek was first found in Auvergne, a historic province in south central France where the family was established in a village in Haute-Loire, in the district of Puy.
Early History of the Houdek family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Houdek research. Another 97 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1741, 1744, 1812, 1828, 1830, 1854, 1859, and 1860 are included under the topic Early Houdek History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Houdek Spelling Variations
There were a great number of spelling variations in French surnames. One reason for this was the wide variety of cultural influences present in France during the early development of the French language. The many spelling variations of the name include Houde, Houdé, Houdet, Houdain, Houdin, Houdinier, Houdinière, Houdon, Houdard, Houdart, Houdiard and many more.
Early Notables of the Houdek family (pre 1700)
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Houdek Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Houdek migration to the United States +
By 1643 there were only about 300 people in Quebec. Since immigration was slow, early marriage was desperately encouraged amongst the immigrants. The fur trade attracted migrants, both noble and commoner. 15,000 explorers left Montreal in the late 17th and 18th centuries. By 1675, there were 7000 French in Quebec. By the same year the Acadian presence in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island had reached 500. In 1755, 10,000 French Acadians refused to take an oath of allegiance to England and were deported to Louisiana. The French founded Lower Canada, thus becoming one of the two great founding nations of Canada. The distinguished family name Houdek has made significant contributions to the culture, arts, sciences and religion of France and New France. Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Houdek were
Houdek Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Houdek, who landed in New York, NY in 1892 
Contemporary Notables of the name Houdek (post 1700) +
- Roger Houdek, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Colorado, 2008 
- Robert Gordon Houdek (b. 1940), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Uganda, 1985; Eritrea, 1993-96 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html