Hoss History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the Hoss family lived in those German speaking land of northern and central European. Their name comes from throughout the German territories, deriving from one of several places named Hausen.
Early Origins of the Hoss family
The surname Hoss was first found in Germany, where the name Hauser emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
Early History of the Hoss family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hoss research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1850, 1822, 1840, 1850, 1853, 1858, 1860 and 1887 are included under the topic Early Hoss History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hoss Spelling Variations
In the medieval era, many different cultural groups lived in the German states. There are thus many regional variations of German surnames from that era. Westphalians spoke Low German, which is similar to modern Dutch. Many German names carry suffixes that identify where they came from. Others have phrases attached that identify something about the original bearer. Other variations in German names resulted from the fact that medieval scribes worked without the aid of any spelling rules. The spelling variations of the name Hoss include Hauser, Hausser, Hauzer, Haueser, Howser, Howzer and many more.
Early Notables of the Hoss family (pre 1700)
Notables of the time with the name Hoss included Miska Hauser, a famous Hungarian violinist, born 1822 in Pressburg, received his musical education in Vienna, under Bohm and Mayseder. When only twelve years of age he made a tour through the world. In 1840 he travelled through Germany, Sweden, Norway, and Russia...
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hoss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Hoss is the 11,211st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Hoss migration to the United States ||+|
An investigation of the immigration and passenger lists has revealed a number of people bearing the name Hoss:
Hoss Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Hoss, who arrived in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1760 
- Philip Hoss, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1762 
Hoss Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christopher Hoss, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1837 
- John Hoss, who arrived in Iowa in 1882 
- Katharina Morsdorf Hoss, who landed in America in 1887 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Hoss (post 1700) ||+|
- Bernd Hoss (1939-2016), German football manager
- Hoss Ellington (1935-2014), American NASCAR driver and team owner
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)