100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The roots of the distinguished German surname Hoover lie in the kingdom of Bavaria
. The name is derived from the Middle High German word "huober," meaning "owner of a patch of farmland." The term "Hube" was used to denote a 40-acre hide of farmland. It is likely that the original bearer of this name was someone who owned such a farm.
The surname Hoover was first found in Bavaria
, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the province. Always prominent in social affairs, the name Huber became an integral part of the region's affairs as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal
System. The earliest known bearer of the name was Ulrich Miles dictus Huobaere, a resident of the town of Utlenheim in the Tyrol region of Austria
Spelling variations of this family name include: Huber, Huberr, Hubere, Hueber, Huebere, Hubner, Huebner, Huben, Hueben, Hubener, Huebener, Hubel, Huebel, Hubeln, Huebeln and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hoover research. Another 255 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1251, 1301, 1790, 1639, 1706, 1764, 1804, 1764 and 1829 are included under the topic Early Hoover History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hoover Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hoover Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johanes Hoover, aged 57, landed in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Andreas Hoover, aged 15, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Henrick Hoover, who landed in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in 1741
- Jacob Hoover, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Christian Hoover, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
Hoover Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Godfrey Hoover, who arrived in New York in 1828
- Fidel Hoover, who arrived in New York in 1832
- Henry Hoover, who arrived in Indiana in 1834
- Benson Risen Hoover, who landed in Texas in 1835
- Joseph T Hoover, who arrived in New York in 1835
Hoover Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Casper Hoover U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
- Zachary Hoover, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2004
- W. H. Hoover, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Montana, 1924
- W. A. Hoover, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1948
- Sam Hoover, American politician, Mayor of Pasadena, Texas, 1950-51; Defeated, 1951
- Vernon Hoover, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Mercedes, Texas, 2011
- Paul L. Hoover, American Democrat politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 35th District, 1974
- Matthew H. Hoover, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Niagara County 1st District, 1933
- Margaret Hoover, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1948
- Marcus Hoover, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 2nd District, 1994
- M. Herbert Hoover, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Ohio Treasurer of State, 1926, 1938
- The Ancestors of Albini Johnson (Hoover) Lehr; Hoover, Houser, Johnson, Wood, Sharples by Stephen J. Kennedy.
- Descendants of Peter and Elizabeth Hoover by Ruth Hoover Bowers.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
The Hoover Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hoover Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 April 2016 at 00:40.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!