Holzapfel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Holzapfel surname is derived from the Upper German word "holz," which means "forest." Thus many of the names that evolved from this root work have to do with living in the woods, or being in the lumber industry. For example, Holzhauer, means lumberjack.
Early Origins of the Holzapfel family
The surname Holzapfel was first found in Swabia, where the name came from noble beginnings and gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. The name Holz has been associated with the noble cantons of Kocher and Ottenwald, where the family was connected to the great ruling dynasty of the Hohenstaufens. It is believed that the Holz family possessed feudal forest rights, and the oldest traced descendant of this branch is Siegfried von Holtz, who lived in Wuerttemberg around 1120. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Holzapfel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Holzapfel research. Another 100 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1832 is included under the topic Early Holzapfel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Holzapfel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Holtz, Holtze, Holz, Holze, Holzer, Holtzer, Holzman, Holtzman, Holtzmann, Holzmann, Holtzel, Holzel and many more.
Early Notables of the Holzapfel family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Holzapfel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Holzapfel migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Holzapfel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Holzapfel, who landed in North America in 1836 
- Johann Holzapfel, who arrived in Texas in 1844 
Contemporary Notables of the name Holzapfel (post 1700) +
- Richard Charles Neitzel Holzapfel (b. 1954), American professor of Church History and Doctrine at Brigham Young University
- James William Holzapfel (b. 1944), American Republican Party politician, Member of the New Jersey State Senate (2012-)
- Karl-Heinz Holzapfel (1915-2003), German Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Beate Holzapfel (b. 1966), West German high jumper at the 1990 European Indoor Championships
- Brigitte Elisabeth Holzapfel (b. 1958), West German high jumper at the 1976 and the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Rudolf Patrick "Rudi" Holzapfel (1938-2005), French-born, Irish poet and teacher
- Riley Holzapfel (b. 1988), Canadian professional AHL ice hockey player
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)